Skip to main content

Top Bookish Memories Autumn Edition



I LOVE reading in the fall. All my favorite genres fit for the darker/cooler months. Fantasy and paranormal reads come alive in these crisp months. Blankets, cozy sweaters, and hot cups of tea become a must have essentials for reading time. I mean how does it get any better? 

Today I wanted to talk about some of the best autumn memories I have that relate to books.



I started Twilight honestly to pass the time during weekend car rides. My family use to have to drive every weekend to Boone North Carolina. To say a 15 year old girl was not happy about this was being nice. I remember reading this book in the backseat, and passing the most breathtaking views I had ever seen. The trees were vivid in their new fall colors (or fall dresses my mom loves to say). The mountain views, the crisp air, and the darker rainy days set the perfect atmosphere for Twilight. It felt like if I looked hard enough I could see one of the characters hiding in the thick forests we would pass. Every time I finished a book I would make my parents GPS the nearest bookstore, and we would make a detour just to get my book. 12 years later and these memories still hold dear to my heart. 


I try to read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets every fall. I think out of all the HP books, this is the best one to read during this time of year. I have started a NEW tradition to go along with it. Last year I found out that Starbucks makes a butter-beer latte! You can get it hot or cold, but I personally love the hot version best. Save the recipe on your phone, and just show it to them if they aren't familiar with it. You can find the recipe here. 

PS: I have tried many different recipes and the one above is by far my favorite. 


Fun fact about me, I took school VERY seriously in college (well up till my senior year anyway). So this story does not come lightly. I started reading Starcrossed the night before I had class, and fell asleep with it in my hands. When I drove to school all I could do was wonder what was going to happen in the book. Keep in mind this was way before audible was a thing. When I got to school I was a little early so I decided to wait in my car and read. Well time for class came and went, and I was still in my car reading. Instead of going to class I not only finished Starcrossed, but I went to the bookstore to get the next book in the trilogy. I have no regrets.  My boyfriend at the time (now husband) thought I had lost my mind, because I NEVER missed school, and to think I missed it for a book was too much for his mind to process. 


I've said before that my husband and I enjoy reading together, but he doesn't have much time to read anymore. Some of my fondest memories are when he got so excited for the fall release of Heir of Fire. We went to get the book together, and it was amazing to see him so excited over a book.  He even finished the book before me! Chris couldn't take the fact that I didn't know how it ended that he decided to read the book aloud to me. I remember doing dishes and Chris sitting at the kitchen nook reading it aloud to me, such a precious memory. 


Now I leave you with the most embarrassing memory. I should start by saying that I was around 15 when I read Eve, and I had a very vivid imagination. Eve is a dystopian read that involves a deadly plague. While reading I started to get really sick. I was running a high fever, my head was fuzzy, I had a wet cough, and just simply put I felt like death. Then I started seeing a pattern, my symptoms started  to sound just like the symptoms that the characters. I wrote it off thinking "well my nose isn't bleeding so I'm good." The next morning I woke up with a nose bleed. I ran from my room woke my parents up screaming and crying that I had the plague, and I wasn't ready to die. No I'm not lying, I know, I know yes, I can feel how embarrassed you are for me. Turns out I wasn't dying, I had a sever sinus infection and bronchitis. It was a close call friends. 

I would love if you shared some of your favorite bookish memories. Please someone tell me they have a story about a book making you think you had the plague! Do you have a book you reread every autumn? This was such a fun post. I think I will do this for every season. 
Happy fall reading y'all! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Review: Becoming Alpha by Aileen Erin

Title: Becoming Alpha  Author: Aileen Erin  Genre: Paranormal Fantasy  Pages: 267 Goodreads Overall Rating: 4.11 Published:  December 17th, 2013 by Ink Monster, LLC   My Rating:  I can’t do that. I can’t turn my emotions off and on like that. I’m either all in or all out. And if you can’t do that—if I don’t come first, then for God’s sake, leave me alone. Becoming Alpha is the true definition of YA paranormal fantasy and I devoured it. Erin took troupes that are known in YA and ran with them in fun, plausible, and exciting ways while taking her own spin on them. I sped through this book and right after I downloaded the next book in the series because I couldn't wait for the two-day shipping of the physical book.  At the beginning of the book, we meet our main character Tessa and her family. Tessa has an unusual gift and it has marked her as the odd girl out at and causing her to feel isolated. With her family wanting to give her a sense o