Skip to main content

Audio Book Review: Embrace

Title: Embrace 
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters 
Author: Jessica Shirvington 
Format: Audio book 
Length: 9 hrs. 56 mins. 
Narrated by: Rebecca Macauley
Genre: YA Paranormal 
Overall Goodreads Rating: 4.01
Published: October 1st 2010 by Hachette Australia (first published 2010)


This book has everything I want in a YA book.I love this book so much I have read it one time, and listen to it on audio. I loved it even more the second time around.
Nothing in Violet's life is simple, and nothing is ever what it seems. The line between love and hate take on an entirely knew definition in this book.  

Our main character Violet is just trying to get by at life. She has suffered loss that has left its mark on her family, a past that has left her feeling broken and defenseless, and sufferers from what she assumes is unacquainted love. She tries to fill the voids in her life with creating art, lots of coffee, days with her best friend, and taking self defense lessons from a cute boy. 
Violets life quickly takes a drastic turn, and she's left with either walking away from her destiny, or saving the one her heart beats for. 

The characters are so complex in this book. You have the two main love interest who are truly night and day. They both have such different qualities. One is light and always seems to make the right decisions The other is dark and mysterious, and while he doesn't make the best of choices you find him pathetic and redeeming all at once. I liked the romance in here because I find it realistic in ways that other YA books lack. In real life you aren't always going to make the best decisions, and you make mistakes you may learn quickly, and others may take awhile to show there scars.

Violet is strong headed, messy, and vulnerable all wrapped up in a teenage girl fighting for her life as well as others. She puts her loved ones first, and will go through hell and back for them without thinking twice. She TRIES to make the right choices, and sometimes she falls short and I appreciate that realistic quality of hers. 

Her best friend Steph is the best friend we all long for. Trustworthy, independent, and not afraid to tell it like it is. She loves Violet for who she is flaws and all. She never judges Violet for her actions, and supports her all the way.  We need more Stephs in the world.

Overall the characters drive this story for me. While the plot is fun and exciting, I pulled for these characters like they were my family. There are more characters that I didn't mention, but just know that every character that is in this book is so well written that they truly feel like real people. These characters are not written with morals that are strictly black and white. There are gray areas in these characters that take their toll, and make you question if light is truly glory, and if dark is damnation. 

I loved the world building in this book, because it wasn't too complex. Sometimes a world needs to be simple to make an impact. This world was more believable to me, because of it's simplicity. While it is still a paranormal world it wasn't so complex that you had to write off every day natural. It wasn't a high fantasy that created it's own world. This world interacts with our world, and just unfolds in ways that people without powers cannot see. It was written well and in a simplistic way that it felt natural.  

Overall this book was a fun read that had me escaping my every day life. It had me believing in a world where the supernatural is fighting all around me in a dimension I couldn't see. I highly recommend this book if you couldn't tell. I recommend reading this book with a great cup of coffee in hand, and Florence and the Machine playing in the background!

5/5 teacups for me! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run