Skip to main content

Review: The Raven Boys

Title: The Raven Boys 
Series: The Raven Cycle #1 
Author: Maggie Stiefvater 
Pages: 409
Overall Goodreads Rating: 4.05
Published: September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press
My Rating: 5/5 tea cups 

Well the jury is out, and this book is everything that everyone says it is. I though there was no way it would hold up to the hype, but here I am eating crow (or raven). The Raven Boys is stunningly unique with heartbreaking love, and dark lyrical writing. I will say that if you go in thinking this book is about a girl fighting her fate of kissing and killing her first love, you are dead wrong. This book is so much more than that, and it will leave you breathless. This book is about character development. How they fight and refuse to play with the cards life hands them, and making their own family. Oh and there's also land lines, a dead prince, psychics, and tarot cards. 


I am going to say what everyone else says so yes I am ready for the eye rolls. The Raven Boys has a complex plot that is better unknown ahead of time. It is very evident that Stiefvater meant for the plot to be mysterious and meant to learn as you go. I will say that even the description on goodreads is a little misleading, and gives the reader the wrong impression of what to expect in this story. In a nutshell what you need to know is Blue lives with a family of psychics, and she has grown up believing in their powers. This gives her a different way of looking at the world. When she meets the raven boys, and learns about their quest she jumps on the opportunity to learn more about land lines, a dead prince, and fate. That's all you need to know. I promise just learn to trust me. 

I cannot remember the last time I felt like characters were real, and we were friends, and I needed to know they were okay. I read the physical book and listened to the audio version. I had to have both because I couldn't leave my friends hanging. I know I sound crazy, but when you read this book you will understand. I loved every single character. Blue has characteristics I desire to have. She is quite but strong. She has the strong personality that doesn't require loud voices, violence, and being the center of attention at all times. Blue is caring, smart, hardheaded, and intuitive It was very refreshing to have a main female character that is strong in a reliable and containable way. 

The raven boys stole my heart, and I cannot decide who I love the most! I went into this thinking there would be a distinct male character that we all would fall in love with, but nope there isn't. They all will steal a different piece of your heart, and every individual part they individually fill make you whole and you can't live without all of them. You inhale these boys and their background stories. I won't tell you which boy has which characteristic because I'm mean (remember when I say it's best going in blind)? So characteristics you can expect to see are; independent, dependent, shy, hardheaded, misunderstood, hardworking, sad, mean, lovable, and so much more. If I gave you more characteristics it would be spoilers. Are you tired of me hiding stuff from you? Go read this book so we can talk about all the amazing details I'm keeping a secret! 

The parts that I listened to on audio were fun. The narrator had a deep and interesting voice. Will Paton yes the actor is the narrator of The Raven Boys. It was fun having an actor read the book, because he was willing to really put himself out there. It felt like he got into the characters mind, and acted out their emotions in a beautiful way. I obviously recommend the audio version because of that, but I liked the book either way. 
If you have a hard time getting into a book that is a little mysterious and leaves you confused in the beginning (I promise it's meant to feel confusing at first) I would suggest the audio version because it's easier to get into that way.  

If you are use to pushing through the confusion, I suggest curling up with a blanket, sit by a window, and grab a nice cup of tea or coffee (or both, I won't judge). This is the perfect read to give you the feels of fall. It has all the elements that a fall read needs. Now is the perfect time to read this book, so what are you waiting for? 
Let me know your thoughts on the book, did you fall as hard for it as I did? 
Is it starting to feel like fall where you live? 
I hope you guys are having an amazing day! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run