Skip to main content

Audio Book Review: The Darkest Part of the Forest

Title: The Darkest Part of the Forest
Series: Nope, it is a standalone!!!
Author: Holly Black
Narrated by: Lauren Fortgang
Overall Goodreads Rating: 4.04
Genre: YA Fantasy
Hours long: 8 HRS 39 MINS
Published: Published January 13th 2015 by Hachette Audio
My Overall Rating: 5/5 Stars!


In A Nut Shell
This is one of the best books I have read in a long time! These fairytale retelling was everything I was hoping for and more. A heroine who works hard to protect others, a brother who melted my heart with how much love he had to offer, and a horned boy who sleeps in a glass castle in the middle of the woods. This book was so magical and Blacks writing was fantastic! I HIGHLY recommend the audio book because Lauren is beyond talented and kept my interest at all times, which can be difficult for me while listening to audio books. This book made me remember how much I LOVE a creative fairy tell retailing sometimes better than the original story. You don't want to miss out on this epic read!   

"Children can have a cruel, absolute sense of justice. Children can kill a monster and feel quite proud of themselves. A girl can look at her brother and believe they're destined to be a knight and a bard who battle evil. She can believe she's found the thing she's been made for."""Hazel lives with her brother, Ben, in the strange town of Fairfold where humans and fae exist side by side. The faeries' seemingly harmless magic attracts tourists, but Hazel knows how dangerous they can be, and she knows how to stop them. Or she did, once.At the center of it all, there is a glass coffin in the woods. It rests right on the ground and in it sleeps a boy with horns on his head and ears as pointy as knives. Hazel and Ben were both in love with him as children. The boy has slept there for generations, never waking.Until one day, he does...As the world turns upside down and a hero is needed to save them all, Hazel tries to remember her years spent pretending to be a knight. But swept up in new love, shifting loyalties, and the fresh sting of betrayal, will it be enough?"
I want to live in Fairfold! I literally could not stop thinking about how creative Black has to be to come up with a town like Fairfold. I couldn't help but wish I could book us a flight and cross our fingers the faeries wouldn't take us. This was my first Black book and now I feel cheated that I waited this long to read her work. I loved the new twists to the fairytale and the writing was beautiful. Black has a way of making the reader feel like they are truly in the story. I listened to the audiobook while cleaning the house, driving, and working-out. There was NOTHING that happened that took my attention away from the story. My house could have caught on fire, Chris carry me out to the yard and I would have not had any idea what happened until the story was over. I loved the world, the main characters, how relevant the story is to the present day and still has old magical myths blended beautifully. There were some characters that I didn't feel too attached to but that happens to me in stand alones some times, does that happen to anyone else? Regardless I loved this book and I highly highly recommend it if you like action, romance, fairytale retellings, fantasy, or just a good book.

What are your thoughts on this book? Do you guys have any recommendations on some fairytale retellings? Share you thoughts down below =)
Happy reading ya'll!
Ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run