Skip to main content

Review: Dorothy Must Die


Overall Rating on Goodreads: 3.84
Published: April 1st 2014 by HarperCollins
Pages: 464
Favorite Quote: “No matter how tough you think you are, there are certain things that just get to you, and they’re usually the little things. The ones you don’t expect.”  
MY OVERALL RAITING: 3 STARS
 
 
"I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be some kind of hero.

But when your whole life gets swept up by a tornado—taking you with it—you have no choice but to go along, you know?

Sure, I've read the books. I've seen the movies. I know the song about the rainbow and the happy little blue birds. But I never expected Oz to look like this. To be a place where Good Witches can't be trusted, Wicked Witches may just be the good guys, and winged monkeys can be executed for acts of rebellion. There's still the yellow brick road, though—but even that's crumbling.

What happened? Dorothy.

They say she found a way to come back to Oz. They say she seized power and the power went to her head. And now no one is safe.

My name is Amy Gumm—and I'm the other girl from Kansas.

I've been recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, and I've been given a mission:

REMOVE
The Tin Woodman's heart,

STEAL
The Scarecrow's brain,

TAKE
The Lion's courage,

And then—

DOROTHY MUST DIE."
I had a hard time with this one. I LOVED the idea of this book. I never liked The Wizard of Oz. I mean am I the only person on the planet that found it corny and extremely boring, and this is coming from a girl who LOVES old movies. So when I heard of this book I was all over it, and to be honest I couldn't help but feel let down by this book. When I am having a hard time deciding if I like something I usually make a list so I decided that is how I will be writing this review, ya'll know I like to spice it up every now and then! 
THE GOOD 
  • Like I said I loved the idea of this book and Paige did a great job recreating a different Oz 
  • I LOVED how Dorothy, The Tinman, The Scarecrow, The Lion, and Glinda ended up. Paige makes Dorothy magic crazed, and I find it more realistic honestly. Dorothy goes back home thinking that her boring life is what she truly wanted, but once again she starts to think the grass is greener on the other side aka back in Oz. She misses being someone important, and the magic is something she cannot get enough of. Glinda brings her back is becomes somewhat of a wicked Godmother who helps Dorothy stay a dictator. Now for you to be a dictator you have to have people of power who fight for you, because Dorothy doesn't want to get her pretty dress and shoes dirty right? The Tin mans heart belongs to Dorothy and will do ANYTHING to make her happy. The Scarecrow becomes a crazed scientist, and The Lion eats the fears of others to keep his courage.....literally eats it. Talk about your drama!!!!
  • I liked Amy MOST of the time.....well kinda. 
  • The wicked witches were epic!
THE BAD 
  • The wicked witches and others are fighting to take down Dorothy, and after all this time they leave it ALL in the hands of Amy who cannot control her emotions, and she doesn't even know what she is fighting for. When she has chances to kill Dorothy she doesn't take them, instead she has pep talks in her head about how she wants to kill Dorothy, and yet wastes ALL her time with these self conversations GETS ON MY LAST NERVE!!!!!!!!
  • Everyone says you cannot trust anyone, but yet everyone acts trustworthy the entire time. I kept waiting for the epic betrayal and yet.....nothing nothing at all.  
  • The ending was not a ending, not a cliff hanger, it just stopped.
  • I feel like this book was building up to something HUGE the entire time, and then the end and I kept thinking surely this isn't it right? Sadly it was or the author just spent the entire book building up to a GUGE moment that will begin in the next book which I highly doubt.
  • It just hurt me that there was so many disappointing parts in this book because I was so exciting for it. Maybe my expectations were too high?
 
I guess the strangest part is that I still want to read the next book. So with that being said I do think you guys should give this book a try, BUT I would get it from the library or if you haven't used Audible.com then you can use their free promo where you can get a free book to see if you like listening to audio books. I will say I did listen to this book and I enjoyed the reader, but she wasn't my favorite. I still LOVE the reader for The Vampire Academy books the best. But anyway if you have read Dorothy Must Die tell me your thoughts is it just me with this book or did you share the same problems?
 
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: To All The Boys I Loved Before (Reread)

To All The Boys I've Loved Before  Series: To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1  Author: Jenny Han Published: April 15th, 2014 by Simon & Schuster  Pages: 355 My Rating:  ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ But now that I think about it, that seems to be all I’ve ever wanted. To be somebody’s and for them to be mine.   Even if she doesn't know the last one, Lara Jean is a hopeless romantic, shy, quirky, and strong-willed. When Lara Jean loves someone, she doesn’t tell them but writes them a love letter. It’s easier to play it safe, to let her feelings pour out onto paper. She holds nothing back; why should she? No one will ever see the letters. She stows them away in the safety of her beloved hatbox.     Lara Jean has written five love letters in her life. The letters range from the boy who stole her first kiss to her sister’s ex-boyfriend.   Lara Jean’s love letters are missing. They are no longer in the safety of her hatbox; they’ve been sent out.   Now Lara Jean is forced to face her bigges

Back to School: Percy Jackson Style

As any fangirl or fanboy wherever you go you want to show your love of books. Being lovers of books we are a unique kind. We crush over fictional characters, they become our best friends, when they hurt we hurt. Books are our escape, our passion, our fun, hobby, friend, books are our lives. Pride comes with being a book nerd and it's something you should embrace. These books we love sometimes take over. We love them so much we want to be a part of that world. I wanted to help find ways for you to always feel close to your favorite books and characters. This week I wanted to do Percy Jackson because I mean who doesn't like Percy Jackson?! These outfits are loosely inspired by some of the loved characters from The Percy Jackson series or the book covers. I stayed on pinterest for hours (shocker right?) to find outfits that have simple pieces that you can find in your closet or wouldn't be hard to find for a good price at stores. I also wanted to find outfits that could easil

Of Poseidon

  "Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen-literally, ouch!-both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom...Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance." I really enjoyed Of Poseidon  so much in fact that I have read it twice. Of Poseidon is the first book in the Syrena series, and this book is full of humor I was laughing from the very first page. The best part of this book was how much I laughed like a crazy person. Emma and Galen keep having strange encounters, and while Galen has an explanation for them, Emma just thinks he's a creepy stalker who wants to sue her for run